More specific types you may be interested in
- Biometrics. This verification is simple and hassle-free. The user simply uploads his/her photo ID, then it gets verified and in cases of forgotten passwords and security issues, sends a picture of his/her face, so the platform algorithms can compare the face biometrics with the previously verified photo ID.
- Employments. This verification is sometimes an option too. It's a bit more time and effort-consuming but overall – an effective way to verify someone's identity and claimed work experience. It can also be done using documents like paychecks and work contracts or via contacting an immediate employer.
Most of the time the online platforms use a combination of methods like biometric plus document verification services or document plus address verification. Using a simple password doesn't cut it anymore.
Moving further, you may be interested in the purpose of verification procedures. Most of the identification methods over the last 10-15 years included identification using an IP address or a phone number. Both of them have lost their relevance and became simply ineffective, as can be easily faked or abused. Plus, we have to pay attention to the fact that a great share of people using such services consists of digital nomads. They travel constantly, therefore – change their phone numbers and IP addresses at least a few times a year. This poses additional difficulties. So the web platforms had to come up with the idea of simple identity verification through the means you always have on you.
The main two goals of checks are:
- Verifying the user's identity by scanning their documents, cross-referencing them with the database of available documents to match the corresponding data. Except for the actual need of verifying customer's identity, it is a legal requirement in order for the platform to comply with KYC and AML principles.
- Catching fake documents that can be used for fraud. Expired, stolen, and forgotten documents can be utilized by impostors to steal the sensitive information and use another person's identity in order to get money or even for cyber-attacks.
For doc verifications, the systems use certain types of documents to establish identity. Usually, they are the ones, issued by the government of the user's country. The following documents are the most likely to be asked from a customer to prove their identity:
- Driver's license;
- Resident permit;
- Other identity-proving instruments
As a rule, documents, proving identity are designed in a way that makes it difficult to forge them. The biometric signs, holograms, thickness, etc. – all of these are used to identify the person and verify the documents.
Diving deeper into the process of verification documents, we can find out that they are often checked by AI. Technologies develop rapidly, but so does the fraud. That's why identity-checking instruments require the use of machine learning and Artificial Intelligence technology that constantly improves and designs new ways to test and inspect the documents. Aa a rule, most of the programs pay attention to the following factors while verifying document:
- The first factor – is the data content, shown on a document. The machine collects all the information contained on a document, including written, encrypted, and the info on an MRZ (machine-readable zone), which can only be extracted by a computer. Then it compares the data with the information, provided by the user and checks the document for validity.
- The second one – are templates, fonts, and other signs of alterations. Obviously, the document can be altered both in material and in digital form. The programs look for changed fonts, photo imperfections like blurred areas, and visible signs of changes, as well as for broken symbols and holograms.
- The third factor, like the thickness of the paper, the number of pages, and the type of paper can usually be checked using video. The user simply has to make a video clip of him/her rotating the required document so the algorithm could clearly see the edges and the thickness of the paper.
- The last factor – is the overall look of the document for the watermarks, overlays, and different inks. This is required to compare the photo of the ID to the legitimate ID document templates or address verification documents used in different countries. Of course, in order to do this, the platform has to have access to the base of IDs of a big number of countries.
The verified document then goes to a relevant database of the company or business.
Identance is a web-platform that offers solutions for easy clients onboarding and verification. Pros of verifying document with Identance are the following:
Identance helps you scale your business while simultaneously proving quick clients onboarding and authentication.
- Developing apps for any kind of device. Whether you need an app for a smartphone or a desktop – we got you!
- Seamless integration. Our programs are flexible and easily transformable to suit every web service there is.
- White-label implementation. The solution we create can be integrated on a platform as a native product to help you build your own brand.
- Customization – an option to design and change the product's features to suit your needs and requirements.
- AML and KYC compliance. With our solution, you can be sure to obey the relevant legislation and detect potential fraud.